Please see the two amendments to the below criteria for 2016 outdoor nationals qualification:
- For the 2016 Outdoor Nationals Qualification only, a player does not need to have played 1 indoor tournament to be eligible to qualify.
- For the 2016 Outdoor Nationals Qualification only, a player must play 3 out of 5 of the listed Qualification tournaments (with at least one of those tournaments being in the other Prairie province) prior to the July 20, 2016 cut off.
CRITERIA FOR CANADIAN JUNIOR NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS SELECTION
Saskatchewan – Manitoba
Effective April 11, 2016, the criteria for players to represent Team Prairies at the Canadian Junior National Championships will change.
- Prairie Regionals qualifying tournaments are eliminated.
- Each province will host 4 tournaments within a calendar year for a total of 8.
- Players will be selected based on Tennis Canada Rogers Rankings in the Age Category by the cutoff date of July 20, 2016 for 2016 Outdoor National Championships and February 15, 2017 for the 2017 Outdoor National Championships. Top 3 ranked players by gender in the age category between the 2 provinces will qualify.
To determine the Top 3 ranked players, Team Prairies will use the following requirements:
- 52 week rolling calendar.
- Using the Tennis Canada Rogers Rankings system.
- To be eligible, players must play a minimum of 1 Indoor Tournament in the past 52 weeks.
- To be eligible, players must play a minimum of 5 Qualifying Tournaments (in either Manitoba or Saskatchewan) out of a Total of 8 Qualifying Tournaments in the past 52 weeks (with at least one of those tournaments being in the other Prairie province).
**If a player ranked in the Top 3 declines invitation to compete in the National Championships, the next eligible player on the Rankings List will be invited UP TO THE #6 RANKING IN THAT CATEGORY
**For a player to be considered to represent Team Prairies at the National Championships who is ranked outside of the Top 6 in the age category, the following criteria apply:
- A player ranked in the Top 3 of the Age Category must have declined invitation to compete at the National Championships.
- The player seeking consideration must apply for SPECIAL EXEMPTION to the Technical Director/Provincial Coach of their Province no later than 15 days prior to the cutoff date for that National Championships Ranking Deadline (ex: for 2016 Outdoor National Championships the deadline for application for Special Exemption would be July 5, 2016)
- Application for SPECIAL EXEMPTION must be made in writing citing all reasons for not meeting the above requirements and include all necessary doctor’s notes etc…(possible reasons for Special Exemption would be injury, illness or possibly competing in other countries)
**It should be noted that BOTH Tennis Manitoba and Tennis Saskatchewan would have to accept a player’s application for Special Exemption and that it would be a RARE case that a player would be accepted as the qualification requirements are minimal.
Tournament Points Awarded
Each province will host one tournament which will have a greater point value:
Manitoba: Manitoba Junior Open, WLTC, July 5 – 8
Saskatchewan: Saskatchewan Junior Indoor Open, Regina, January 2017
The remaining 6 tournaments between the provinces will have equal associated values.
Reason For Change
- This change in format has been made to eliminate the increasingly undesired Prairie Regionals qualifying tournaments which are costly and frequently cancelled or changed due to low entries
- The new system allows for travel flexibility
- Promotes inter-provincial play thus providing player variety
2016 / 2017 Schedule:
- May 13 – 15/16 Kildonan Jr Open Kildonan Tennis Club Winnipeg, MB
- May 27 – 29/16 Riverside Jr Champs Riverside Tennis Club Saskatoon, SK
- Jun 2 – 5/16 Tuxedo Jr Open Tuxedo Tennis Club Winnipeg, MB
- Jun 10 – 12/16 Prov Jr Champs Lakeshore Tennis Club Regina, SK
- Jul 5 – 8/16 MB Jr Open WLTC Winnipeg, MB
Outdoor Nationals rankings cutoff/selection: July 20, 2016
- November date TBD SK Tournament TBD Club TBD City in SK – TBD
- January 2017 Ravenscourt Jr Open Wpg Winter Club Winnipeg, MB
- January 2017 Sk Jr Indoor Open Club Regina, SK
Indoor Nationals rankings cutoff/selection: February 15, 2017