Above photo: Winnipeg National Bank Challenger women’s champion Caroline Dolehide. Photo courtesy of Karl Mendoza at www.kamera8studios.ca.
Below is a recap of how some Winnipeg National Bank Challenger players have performed since competing at Winnipeg Lawn Tennis Club in July.
- Women’s champion Caroline Dolehide of the United States reached the round of 16 at the Bank of the West Classic in Stanford: she took US Open finalist Madison Keys to three sets before falling 3-6, 6-2, 6-3.
- Women’s finalist Mayo Hibi of Japan advanced to the quarterfinals at the Gatineau Challenger and the Granby Challenger.
- Men’s champion Blaz Kavcic of Slovenia defeated Canada’s Peter Polansky 6-3, 2-6, 7-5 to win the Granby Challenger (Kavcic also beat Polansky in three sets in the Winnipeg final). Kavcic played in the main draw of the US Open, losing 6-3, 5-7, 6-4, 6-3 to Russia’s Mikhail Youzhny.
- Men’s finalist Peter Polansky played in three Challenger finals this past summer: Winnipeg, Gatineau (losing 6-1, 3-6, 6-3 to Denis Shapovalov) and Granby. Polansky beat fellow Canadian Vasek Pospisil at the Rogers Cup in Montreal before being defeated 6-2, 6-1 by Roger Federer.
- Canadians Carol Zhao and Filip Peliwo won their first Challenger titles in November, with Zhao capturing the Shenzhen Challenger in China and Peliwo winning the Knoxville Challenger in Tennessee.