Two tournaments remain on the calendar for the 2015 Tennis Manitoba season, both held at the Winnipeg Winter Club. The Reflections Dental Indoor Singles Open will run November 11-15, while the WWC Doubles & Mixed Doubles Christmas Classic is slated for December 15-19. Entry deadlines are November 9 for the singles tournament and December 11 for the doubles tournament.
Here are some highlights from the 2015 tournament season:
- Stephen Dubienski captured his first Manitoba Open singles title with a 6-3, 6-3 victory over Cole Lacap at Kildonan Tennis Club. The 17-year-old Lacap reached three finals at the tournament, winning the Open men’s doubles with brother Sean Lacap and winning the Open mixed doubles with Monika Popovic. Winnipeg native and Santa Clara University athlete Daniella Silva beat Popovic 6-1, 6-1 in the women’s Open singles final.
- Trevor Borland reached three men’s Open singles finals. He won the Tuxedo Open after losing the Deer Lodge final to Sean Bailey and dropping the Taylor clay court final to Shane Nicholls. In this year’s first tournament, Edson Abrao Filho beat Nicholls 6-2, 6-1 to win the men’s Open singles at Winnipeg Lawn.
- Tennis Manitoba tournament director Sam Unrau won the wheelchair events at the WLTC Open, the Deer Lodge Classic and the Manitoba Open. Each tournament featured round-robin formats, and Unrau swept through each one undefeated.
- Elinor Shpunt won three events at three different tournaments, winning the 4.5 mixed doubles with Chris Shay at Winnipeg Lawn before claiming the 4.5 women’s singles titles at Deer Lodge and the Manitoba Open.
- Connor Davies won back-to-back 4.5 men’s singles events, first at the WLTC Open and then at the Deer Lodge Classic.
- Maya Arksey/Zach Baron captured five mixed doubles titles at Tennis Manitoba tournaments: they won in the Open category at Winnipeg Lawn, Taylor and Tuxedo, and in the 4.5 at Deer Lodge and Taylor.
- Katherine Lee/Samantha Lee won the women’s Open doubles at the WLTC Open and the Tuxedo Open. Mannan Thakur/Souk Xoum won the men’s 4.5 doubles at the WLTC Open and the Manitoba Open.