|Team Manitoba tennis at the 2013 Canada Summer Games,
Tennis Manitoba has announced details of the 2013-14 Provincial & National Training Center Program. The 28 week program includes weekly on court sessions, strength and conditioning training, quarterly fitness testing and out of province competition.
Team tryouts are scheduled for 4 – 7 p.m., September 28, 2013. Competitive junior tennis players interested in participating in the team tryouts, are asked to register prior to 12 noon, Friday, September 27th. To access the tryout registration form, click here.
The following is an overview of the program:
1. Coaching Staff
- Head Coach – Jared Connell
- Assistant Coach – Robert Kennedy
- Assistant Coach – Marlon Goldburn
2. Open Tryout
- An open tryout for is scheduled for 4 – 7 p.m., Saturday, September 28 at Tuxedo Tennis Club for junior tennis players (boys and girls) in the U12 to to U18 age categories.
- In the event of inclement weather, please meet at Taylor Tennis Club.
- There is no fee for the tryout session.
3. Team Selection Criteria
- Team members will be selected by the coaching staff, with selection notifications made by September 30th.
- Selections will be based on past tournament performances / results, program commitment, physical competencies, match play and tennis skills.
4. Program Dates
- Session 1: 8 weeks, week of Sept 30 – Dec 9, 2013
- Session 2: 10 weeks, week of Jan 6 – Mar 24, 2014
- Session 3: 10weeks, week of Mar 31 – Jun 9, 2014
5. Program Training
- On court tennis: 1day per week, 2 hours
- On court fitness: 1 day per week, 1 hour (following tennis session)
- Strength and conditioning: 1 day per week, 1 hour
- Fitness testing: 5 tests throughout program
- Training session days will be separated by age group / ability level
- Training days to be announced
6. Program Travel
- Tournament 1: Edmonton, AB, Nov 1 – 3, 2013
- Tournament 2: Saskatoon,SK, Nov 30 – 31, 2013
- Tournament 3: Edmonton, AB, Feb 28 – Mar 2, 2014
- Tournament 4: Prairie Regionals, Saskatoon,SK, dates TBD (mid-March)
7. Program Apparel
- Each team member will receive a tracksuit, 2 training shirts
8. Program Fee
- Costs are currently being finalized. An approximate fee of $1,600 per player for the 28 weeks. The program fee does not include travel expenses.
9. Player Agreement
- Team members are required to adhered to a player agreement, which is to be signed by the player, parent / guardian, and personal coach. Included in the player agreement will be competition schedules that include participation in all regional and national championships that the player qualifies for in their respective age group, fitness programs / testings and results, technical improvements, training attitudes and behaviour. Periodic evaluations will be held throughout the program.
- Program participants will be chosen on the above criteria. There are limited number of team spots available in each age group. Players are selected to a particular age category based on their date of birth and/or ability. Each group will consist of a combination of boys and girls.
10. Code of Conduct
- All team members are required to sign a Tennis Manitoba Code of Conduct agreement.